Enrolling your child Employment Maps and Directories
Search Website

Enrolling your child in a District 196 school


We are excited that you are considering enrollment in a District 196 school. Enroll your child at his or her attendance area school or at the school for which they have an approved transfer request.

Be sure to bring:
  1. A birth certificate or other documentation, such as a passport, confirming your child's date of birth and legal name;
  2. Proof of required immunizations, and
  3. Proof of early childhood screening (for kindergarten enrollment only).
Find your child’s attendance area  

Use the school locator tool on the district website or call 651-423-7640 to locate your child’s attendance area school.

Can my child attend a different District 196 school?

502 - Student Transfers

502.2P - Attendance Priorities for Transfer Students

502.4P - Intradistrict Student Transfer Application (Due December 15)

502.4.1AR - Student Transfers: State Enrollment Options Program (Due January 15)

502.4.1P State Enrollment Options Form (Due January 15)

502.4.4P Student Transfers: Daycare for Students in Grades K-5


The links above provide an explanation of what is involved in transferring from one District 196 school to another (intradistrict transfer).  This would include transfers based on daycare, parents’ intent to change residency, an 11th or 12th grader wanting to remain in a school once their parents have moved, and parents’ choice of a different school.  Magnet school enrollment follows a different process. The State Enrollment Options Program link above is for students not living in District 196.

Magnet school options

Learn more about the magnet schools that are available for elementary and middle school students and the enrollment process for students not living in the magnet school attendance area.

Can my child attend a District 196 school if I live outside of the district?

Policy 502, Student Transfers, and 502.2P, Attendance Priorities for Transfer Students provide an explanation about the open enrollment process. Applications are due by January 15 for the following school year.

Immunization requirements for school enrollment

Minnesota law requires students to have proof of immunizations or a signed statement of conscientious objection in order to enroll and remain in school. Immunization information is available on the Health Services pages of the district website. The Dakota County Public Health Department maintains a list of public immunization clinics (www.co.dakota.mn.us or 952-891-7500).

Kindergarten eligibility

A child is eligible for kindergarten if he or she will be 5 years old on or before September 1 of the year he or she will begin school.  

  • Early entrance guidelines are available for parents wishing to enroll students who do not meet the age requirement. Parents may also call 651-423-7739 for more information on early entrance to kindergarten.
  • Minnesota requires that all children complete a free screening to detect any health and/or developmental concerns prior to entering kindergarten in a public school. District 196 encourages early childhood screening between three and four years of age. This allows time for a preschool experience or other social/educational opportunities to benefit the child.

Untitled Document

Copyright and Privacy information

© Copyright Rosemount - Apple Valley - Eagan Public Schools, 3455 153rd St. W., Rosemount, MN 55068 • 651-423-7700
All Rights Reserved • Copyright Notice | Privacy Statement | Nondiscrimination and Vocational Opportunities Notification

Copyright and Privacy Information